You are invited to join a user interface (UI) workshop on Wednesday 8 Aug. Clean Air Network (CAN) is partnering with the PRAISE-HK team from Hong Kong University of Science and Technology to present the prototype of a personalized real-time air quality app during an evening session.
The event will include an introduction of the project and app, followed by small group discussion to experience the device prototype and collect user feedback which will contribute to the app’s final phase development.
- Time & date: 6:30-8pm, Wednesday 8 Aug 2018 (refreshment will be provided)
- Venue: CAN Office, Rm A, 2nd Floor, The Standard Chartered Bank Bldg., 102-106 Queen’s Road West, Sheung Wan, Hong Kong (view map)
- Language: Cantonese
- Registration: Please confirm your attendance by 4 August 2018
- RSVP: https://goo.gl/forms/Kv6op7pXExkeTMyU2 (Tel: 39710106)
PRAISE-HK – a world first mobile app system developed by HKUST – provides practical solutions to lower personal exposure and health risk to air pollution in Hong Kong. Combining state-of-the-art sensor technologies, computer models, big data, and exposure science, PRAISE-HK provides high-resolution air quality forecasts down to the street level. Sensitive sub-groups, athletes and people who care about their family or own heaths can be empowered to make informed and cleaner-air decisions.
The 16 air quality monitoring stations (AQMS) operated by the Environmental Protection Department provide ambient air quality information at district levels for public reference. However, the city’s air quality actually varies a lot at street level due to multiple factors including changes in traffic flow and composition, wind speed and direction, as well as urban ventilations among street canyons. The current mobile app workshop thus aims to:
- Illustrate the PRAISE air quality map showing air quality distribution patterns from regional to local (and district) scales, so that participants could see the air pollution dynamics in the mega-region;
- Illustrate the changing air qualities at street level in Hong Kong with time up to 72 hours;
- Collect feedback for user interface preferences for the final phase development of the PRAISE app.